Disclosure: This content is reader-supported, which means if you click on some of our links, we may earn a commission with no additional cost to you.
This guide will show you 19 SEO techniques that you can implement on your Blogspot blog to improve your Google search ranking.
Most of the bloggers publish their blogs to earn money from it. To make money with a blog you need to monetize it. It doesn’t matter if you monetize your Blogspot blog with AdSense or other ad networks that accept Blogspot blog. You can’t make any money without visitors.
You can get visitors via different sources such as direct, social, referral, paid, and mainly from Google search.
You must consider two major factors, first content and second SEO or Search Engine Optimization if you want your Blogspot blog to appear on Google Search.
Content is the king. However, without implementing appropriate SEO techniques, the likelihood of your blog appearing on the first page of search results is very slim. Even if your content is great, other blogs will outrank yours on search with a proper SEO.
Whether you are using Paid domain and hosting or using a free blogging platform like Blogspot, the importance of SEO is the same.
On Blogspot, you don’t have to worry about site speed, bandwidth limit, security, etc. Google will take care of it regardless if you are using a custom domain or free Blogspot. You are only responsible for content and SEO.
- 1 SEO Tips For Blogspot Blog
- 1.1 1. Focus on a specific niche
- 1.2 2. Do Proper Keyword Research
- 1.3 3. Also implement other relevant keywords
- 1.4 4. Focus on low competition long-tail keywords
- 1.5 5. Properly optimize blog URL
- 1.6 6. Write a longer post
- 1.7 7. Maintain Keyword density
- 1.8 8. Create SEO friendly Post Title
- 1.9 9. Add relevant images
- 1.10 10. Optimize your images
- 1.11 11. Avoid Grammatical mistakes and typos
- 1.12 12. Internal link your posts
- 1.13 13. Optimize the Meta description
- 1.14 14. Add No-follow external links
- 1.15 15. Label and related post
- 1.16 16. Format comments
- 1.17 17. Add your Blogspot site to all search engines
- 1.18 18. Enable visitor tracking
- 1.19 19. Share your posts on social media
- 1.20 Share this:
SEO Tips For Blogspot Blog
Implementing SEO techniques on Blogspot is harder compared to WordPress where you can implement SEO easily with the help of different plugins.
There are two forms of SEO. On-page SEO and Off-page SEO. On-page SEO is all about the techniques you can implement on your blog. Whereas Off-page SEO is all about the techniques you can implement outside of your website to improve your search ranking.
The chance of success with off-page SEO is not great on a free Blogspot blog. You can therefore only utilize On-page SEO techniques on Blogspot blogs.
Here are 19 SEO tips to help you improve your search ranking with Blogspot blog.
1. Focus on a specific niche
You should first focus on a specific niche as a beginner blogger. You should only focus on a broad niche after you progress in your blogging career.
If you are writing about pet food then only focus on different pet foods. As a beginner blogger don’t wander into different related niches like pet breeds, pet training. Google likes focused niche blogs more and it’s relatively easy to rank.
2. Do Proper Keyword Research
It doesn’t matter if are using a custom domain on Blogger or using a free Blogspot blog, you should always do proper keyword research.
You can do keyword research for free with Google Keyword Planner or use any other paid tools.
Find the main keyword relevant to your post and put the main keyword on Title, URL, meta description, headings, and every other important place.
3. Also implement other relevant keywords
A post isn’t limited to only one keyword, you can implement multiple keywords on your post. Therefore it is important to find several keywords relevant to your blog post.
Google doesn’t rank your post on a single keyword. It crawls your blog post to find any relevant keyword. That’s why you should implement other relevant keywords.
Though you can put multiple keywords on your post, you shouldn’t put too much. Having too many keywords on your post hinders your keyword relevancy.
Keyword relevancy helps search engines determine what your post is about and which keywords your post should rank for.
4. Focus on low competition long-tail keywords
Focusing on long-tail keywords is a great Blogspot SEO tactic. Long-tail keywords are easier to rank for compared to short keywords.
Long-tail keywords are long search phases with 3, 4, or more word count. For a beginner Blogspot blogger, long-tail keywords are the way to go.
Another factor you should focus on when choosing a keyword is keyword competition. High search volume comes with higher competition. That’s why find a long-tail keyword with low search volume to write content.
Another way you can find the competition of a keyword is to use the Allintitle search command.
With the Allintitle command, you will be able to find the pages that have exact keywords in their title tag. To use the Allintitle command search on google “Allintitle: your keyword”
5. Properly optimize blog URL
Permalink structure or URL structure plays a major role in Blogspot SEO. Having a proper URL structure not only gets good impressions from visitors but also performs better in search rankings.
While writing a post on Blogspot you will have the option of choosing between automatic permalink or custom permalink. To have an optimized URL you should go with a custom permalink.
While writing posts on Blogspot, you get the option on your right panel to keep permalink automatic or custom. Simply select custom permalink and optimize according to your wish.
Following are some of the perks of using custom Blogspot post permalink
- You can put keywords on your URL. Google values your keywords on URL. But don’t make it spammy
- You can customize your post URL to your taste
- You can remove numbers from the URL. For example, I am writing 19 SEO tips for Blogspot blogs. I don’t want to add the number 19 on my post URL. Cause if I add other tips on the post later, I will have to change the URL or it will mismatch.
- You can remove stop words from the post permalink (Ex: A, And, The)
- Always use “-” on your URL, not “_”
- Avoid Capital letters on URL
6. Write a longer post
Writing a longer post is good for Blogspot SEO. Google loves longer posts and you can put more relevant keywords in longer posts.
For a starter blogger, your goal should be writing at least 800-1500 word posts. Write all the relevant information on the post.
Don’t focus too much on word count. If you got your topic finished in 900 words then it’s enough. No need to pull your post to make it longer with irrelevant information.
7. Maintain Keyword density
You should put an optimal amount of keywords on your post. Don’t go for keyword stuffing and irrelevant keywords.
Focus on engaging quality content rather than keywords. Write your post naturally. Google and other search engines are smart enough to understand what your post is about.
8. Create SEO friendly Post Title
Creating SEO friendly post title is by far one of the most important factors in Blogspot SEO. SEO-friendly post titles not only get a high ranking in Google search but also increase CTR (Click Through Rate).
If your post appears on SERP (Search Engine Result Page) the first line that the users usually see is the title tag. If your post title is not engaging, a user might skip your post even if you are ranking no 1.
Your post title should be engaging, keyword-rich, and should be able to define in a few words what your post is about.
Here are some tips on creating an SEO friendly post title
- Choose a short and informative title
- Put your focused keyword on your title only. Don’t be greedy and try to stuff many keywords
- Find high traffic but less competitive keyword relevant to your post and put it on the blog title
- Your post title length should be no more than 60 characters. Why? Because google typically shows the first 50-60 characters of the title
- Avoid choosing a title that has no relation to the content
9. Add relevant images
Whenever you write a post you should always add one or more relevant images. Images on posts not only visually appealing to your blog visitors but also can drive massive traffic with Google images.
Always use a featured image on a post, screenshots on a guide, and also some necessary images between post texts. This will make your post appealing even if the visitors try to skim through your texts.
Try to add some infographics to your post. You don’t need to be a professional graphics designer to create infographics. You can easily create simple infographics using the free Canva app.
10. Optimize your images
Having an optimized image on your Blogspot blog will increase page speed, better Google ranking, drive traffic through Google image search, and a lot more.
Why optimizing images on Blogspot is important? Because
- Images can contain keywords on alt tag and URL
- Your post images can appear on Google image search and thus drive more traffic to your blog
- Having a high file sized image on your post will increase your load time and reduce your Google ranking
Unlike WordPress where you can implement different image optimization with plugins, on Blogspot, you have to do them manually.
Here’s how you can optimize image on Blogspot
- Use stock free images and photos
- Rename your photo and include keywords on it. Avoid using names default names like “DSC0057.jpg”, use name like “blogspot-seo-tips.jpg”
- Always separate word with a hyphen “-“
- Compress your image to reduce image file size. There is no plugin option on Blogspot so you will have to do it manually. Go to TinyPNG or any other image compressing site to reduce the file size
• Use alt text on all image
11. Avoid Grammatical mistakes and typos
A poorly written content with typos, spelling mistakes, and grammatical mistakes can decrease your credibility as a blogger. If your reader stumbles across one or two mistakes they might ignore it. But if your content has spelling and grammatical in every step it might create problems.
Having grammatical mistakes will affect bounce rate as well as Blogspot SEO.
While Google and other search engines don’t penalize for typos, spelling, and grammatical mistakes, they do penalize based on bad user experience. If your content is full of typos, spelling errors, and bad sentence structure, it will create a bad user experience.
So avoid having typos, spelling errors, and bad sentence structure on your content.
You can use Grammarly to solve these problems. Just paste your content and it will tell you all errors in your content as well as how to solve them.
Internal linking is another major SEO technique to increase Google’s ranking. Even if you are using free Blogspot for blogging, you should implement this technique on your blog.
When you are writing a blog post, try to add some other relevant post links to your current post. This will not only benefit you in terms of SEO but also increase your page view and reduce your bounce rate.
13. Optimize the Meta description
The meta description is a tag on HTML which is used to show a summary of webpage content on search results. Google sometimes shows this on the search results.
Having a good meta description helps your google ranking indirectly. While having a good meta description does not affect your ranking, but it can increase the click-through rate.
Google generally shows meta description snippets between 155-160 characters. So it’s best not to overwrite it cause Google will cut it to optimal length.
When writing a blog post, you might need to add some external links or outbound links to your post. Having some external links on your post will make your blog more credible to Google.
But having external links on posts will pass your link juice to another site. It is not beneficial for your website.
Link juice is a search engine ranking factor that passes value and authority from one page to another. You don’t want to pass some of your site value to another site, right?
That’s where no-follow external links come in handy. With the Nofollow external link, you will tell the search engine crawl bot not to follow the link and pass the value.
To make your link no follow on Blogger platform, clink Insert Link, put your link, and swipe the button next to “Add ‘rel=nofollow’ attribute”
On Blogger, categories are called labels. They are often used for organizing posts. Label affects your related post. So having an appropriate label will make related posts show relevant posts.
Labels have no SEO value. So having many labels will not benefit your blog. Having too many labels not only increase your keyword density but also disorganize your post.
16. Format comments
Comments on your blog can be both assist and liability depending on how you deal with it. Moderate comments can help your blog by increasing keywords and word count. Whereas spammy comments can harm your blog.
Here are some tips to maintain the quality of your blog comments
- Make sure the comment backlinks are Nofollow and don’t pass link juice
- Turn on the reader comment captcha option. This will reduce bots from making spammy comments
- Turn the comment moderation option ON. So that you can make sure no irrelevant comment gets to pass on.
17. Add your Blogspot site to all search engines
Don’t rely only on Google for traffic and miss out on traffic from other search engines such as bing, yahoo search, DuckDuckGo, and Baidu.
Although other search engines won’t get you massive traffic, it’s still better than nothing.
By adding your site to Bing you will not only get traffic from Bing but also from Yahoo search and Duckduckgo.
Therefore add your site to all available search engines. It will only take a couple of minutes to set up and you will get massive benefits with a little effort.
18. Enable visitor tracking
Although Blogger has a built-in tracking system which you can check on stats. It doesn’t provide much information about blog performance. So use Google analytics on your Blogspot blog.
To add Google Analytics on Blogger, Sign up on Google Analytics, get tracking code, then sign in to your Blogger account, go to setting and paste the tracking code on Google Analytics Property ID.
Once you have created a useful post share it on Social media platforms. This will get your blog some traffic on your new site.
If the audience from social media finds your post valuable, they will likely share it. Shared content will get more visibility and send the signal to Google that this post is useful. Thus increase the chance of SEO ranking.